Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Best. Pot Roast. EVER!!

Being a busy Mom to two, I absolutely love any recipe that I can throw in the crock pot in the morning, and have a delicious dinner ready 8 hours later.  There is NOTHING better than coming home after a busy day of running errands and having dinner cooked, smelling great, and ready to eat!

I discovered this recipe when my husband and I were very first married.  It was in one of my many Gooseberry Patch cookbooks ( I couldn't tell you which one now!) but I've never tried another pot roast recipe again.  This one is just too GOOD and too EASY to try anything else!! ;)

So here we go, my recipe for the Best. Pot Roast. EVER!!

Sunday Slow Cooker Pot Roast

2-4 pound pot roast (English Cut!) *
2 c. water
1 packet Ranch Dressing mix
1 packet Italian Dressing mix
1 packed brown gravy mix
3 cans whole potatoes or 4-5 potatoes peeled and cubed **
baby carrots

*I like to buy a 4 pound roast. It feeds my family of four easily, and leaves enough leftovers for lunch for my hubby the next day and a Sheperds Pie or two!  If you're not into leftovers, a 2 pound pot roast should feed a family of four easily. I recommend English cut because it shreds the easiest.  If you prefer sliced roast, you can use whatever you like! 

**CANNED potatoes you say?  I always use the canned ones because it's what my parents used when I was growing up, so I like them the best ;)  The real thing is probably better for you, but you may want to add them after the roast has cooked for 2 hours so they don't get mushy :) 

Pop your roast in your slow cooker and pour water over the top. In a small bowl, combine Ranch, Italian and Brown Gravy Mixes and mix well. Pour over roast. Add in potatoes and carrots, cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours. Transfer to a serving platter and let sit for 5-10 minutes before shredding!  Top with homemade gravy!  **See recipe below**  ENJOY!!!!  


If you'd like to make your own gravy and haven't done it before, it's SUPER easy!!  Plus it only takes about 2 minutes and it's better (and cheaper!) than the stuff in the jar. 

1 c. juices from your slow cooker
1 Tbsp. Flour
water

In a small bowl, combine flour with enough water to make a paste.  Use a fork to stir to the right consistency.  In a small saucepan, add juices and gradually stir in flour paste with a fork.  Allow to bubble and simmer until gravy thickens. It usually only takes a minute or two! 


I hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as mine does!  It's so simple and quick to throw together, but tastes like you spent the whole day cooking (and those are always the BEST recipes!).  I hope you all have a fabulous evening!!!





Pin It

1 comment:

  1. this IS the best pot roast ever!!! we make this one at least twice a month!!!! yumyum!!! can't wait to try your gravy!!! <*)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...