Friday, April 6, 2012

Sweet Muffin-Tin Biscuits

Easter is in just a couple of days and I cant believe how quickly this year is flying by!  Charlie will be a year old in about 6 weeks and summer is on it's way!!  I've SO enjoyed this years warmer weather and can't wait for Lily to finish with school so we can enjoy days by the pool, the waterpark, picnics, cookouts and all of the great summer fun that'll be here before we know it!

This year for Easter we're having my parents to our house!  We always rotate holidays between my family and Matt's and this year is my family's turn.  Since my Mom just had major surgery and a lot of my family is out of town, we decided to forgo the big easter celebration and we're just having a small brunch here.  I'm making my maple breakfast casserole, monkey bread, fruit salad and my Mom's bringing her famous Applewood Apple Julep (YUM!) We'll do an Egg hunt in the yard if the weather's okay and of course Mr. Bunny is leaving baskets and gifts for the kids!  Easter is a holiday that holds a lot of great memories for me from my childhood, I love passing on all of the traditions to my own children.  I hope you all enjoy the holiday as well!!!

This week has been super busy and productive having my husband home from work!  He's been able to get work done in the yard that he hasn't had the time to do before, and I've been working in the house (not to mention LOTS of family time!) I just wish it was warm enough to start working in teh garden!!  But he's pulled out some bushes, cleaned out the garage and I've gotten the chance to make some "spring" pillows for the living room and do some reorganizing. It's been really great, but I'll admit, cooking has NOT been a top priority.  After a few days of lunches and dinner's out, I was in the mood for something good this morning.  I happened across this recipe a while ago and I just had to try it out!  You can make it two different ways, the "semi-homemade" way with biscuit baking mix or the "from scratch method."  I'll share both recipe's with you!   It's a really different kind of recipe, they flavor of the dough tastes just like biscuits but it has the sweetness of a muffin or scone.  Lily took a bite and announced "MOMMY I LOVE these!!!"  So there you go, it's got a Lily stamp of approval ;)  My husband really liked them as well!!  So I hope you enjoy them too!

Sweet Muffin-Tin Biscuits

Method 1: (semi-homemade)
2 c. biscuit baking mix
2 1/2 T. sugar
1/4 c. cold butter
2/3 c. milk
1/4 c. jam, any flavor divided

Method 2: (made from scratch)
2 c. all purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. shortening
2 1/2 T. sugar
1/4 c. cold butter
2/3 c. milk
1/4 c. jam, any flavor, divided

In a bowl, combine baking mix and sugar (or first 5 ingredients from method 2). Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in milk, just until moistened. Mixture will be thick and doughy. Spoon 1 tablespoon of dough into lined muffin tins and top with one teaspoon of your favorite jam (I used my homemade strawberry jam). Spoon remaining dough equally into muffin cups (about 1/4 c. each). Bake at 425 degrees for 12-14 minutes, or until muffin tops are lightly golden. Cool in a tin for 5 minutes, remove to a wire rack. Drizzle with Orange Glaze. Makes 9.

Orange Glaze: 
1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 t. orange juice

In a small bowl, whisk together until smooth.

These would be so yummy along side a cup of tea or coffee or with a big glass of orange juice for the kiddos!




Well, time for me to hop off this computer. We're coloring eggs tonight and I'm making some Asian Chicken for dinner tonight - YUM!  I hope you all have a fabulous holiday weekend!!!




Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...