Thursday, April 19, 2012

Aunt Patty's Chicken Enchiladas

It's been quite a week here at the Parks Household...everyone's been sick (except my hubby!) and now Lily has a massive case of the hives again...so needless to say, we've been spending a lot of time at HOME and INSIDE not getting to enjoy this gorgeous weather (boo!).  But that's okay :) I took Miss Lily to the doctor and got her put on some meds and she's looking better already!  I'm looking forward to the weekend and getting to go have some fun if everyone is feeling better by then :)

So since I've been home so much, I've been taking a lot of time and working on my housework, cleaning out and organizing closets and so forth.  Now that I have TWO little ones snacking on a regular basis, my carpets are in constant need of vacuuming and I'm sweeping twice a day to keep the crumbs at bay.  Charlie has taken a liking to the sweeper though and he's making it a bit difficult on me...but he's so darn cute it's hard not to let him have his fun! :)







So....onto the yummy stuff!!  This recipe comes with a little story.  About 6 years ago, my Mom, Sister and Aunts threw me a wedding shower (holy moly I can't believe it's been that long already!) and one of the things that they did was ask everyone they invited to bring me a one of their favorite recipe's for my recipe book.  I have come to cherish these recipes so much because they were all hand written by my friends and family (some of them have passed on since) and they are something that I will have forever and ever.  Not to mention, I've made a lot of them and they are all tried and true and DELICIOUS!  This recipe is one of the firsts that I tried and I've been making them every since.  It comes from Matt's Aunt Patty.  She told me that when her kids would come home from college they always requested these Chicken Enchiladas, and I can see why...they are AWESOME!  So hopefully they won't mind that i'm sharing her recipe here!!!  And please excuse the photo, it's not easy getting a good picture of a chicken enchilada...LOL!

Aunt Patty's Chicken Enchiladas

2 c. chicken cooked and shredded**
16 oz. sour cream
1 c. salsa
1 lb. shredded Mexican cheese, divided
8-10 burrito sized tortillas
1 can enchilada sauce
garnish: lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, sour cream,salsa, whatever you like!

**Busy Mom Tip:  Pick up a rotisserie chicken from your grocery, remove the skin from the breast and shred it up!  Saves you the work of cooking and seasoning the chicken yourself.  Save the dark meat for your hubby for lunch if he likes it, or use it in another recipe if you like it!  Makes these super quick and easy to cook up!

In a bowl combine chicken, sour cream, salsa and half of your cheese. Spoon it evenly into tortillas and place them seam side down in a large casserole dish (I use a lasagna pan!). 



 Top them off with the enchilada sauce and remaining cheese and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes!  







Serve them up with refried beans and rice if you like!  Another tip with these is that they freeze up FABULOUSLY!  If you're only cooking for two, then half the recipe is plenty!  Fill them and top with cheese and enchilada sauce then cover in a tight layer of plastic wrap and another layer of foil. Just be sure to thaw them out before cooking again!  


Tonight my hubby's off early and I can't decide what I'm making for dinner, I suppose I should get off this computer and figure something out ;)  I hope you all have a fabulous Thursday night and weekend too if I don't have a chance to write before then!!  Enjoy!






Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kate, your blog is so cute I read it from time to time and it's just better and better, LOVE the recipes, I esp want to try the peanut butter dip your mom was raving about it tonight !! The pics of Charlie are so cute I think he looks like a mini me of your dad !! The hair is really cute short or long ... I keep talking about chopping mine all off again to and your sister keeps telling me NO WAY !! Who knows one day I will probably just say ok I'm done and go do it. Have a great weekend !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shawna!!! I feel you on the hair! I can't make up my mind! I think I want it short, but when I cut it i'll probably hate it..lol! thank you so much for reading, see you soon!!!!

      Delete
  2. Look at the pics again....I say go for it!!!! Love to see you with cute cut, your hair grows awesomely fast, and you look fabulous ALL THE TIME!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...