Thursday, June 9, 2011

Fried Doughnuts


Yes, I said it….FRIED doughnuts.  Okay so I think all doughnuts are fried, but for some reason when you heat up that big pot of oil at home they just seem that much worse for you….but they are so SO worth it ;) During the last couple of weeks of my pregnancy I was craving these like crazy…now with my post pregnancy body staring me in the face I’m wishing I hadn’t eaten quite so many ;) haha! But that’s why I had a healthy 9 pound baby boy….right?!?!
Growing up, these doughnuts were a rare treat in my house…but every once in a while on a Sunday morning Mom would decide it was time to make these for breakfast.  My job was always rolling the doughnuts in the cinnamon and sugar….which, by the way, is the best part.  You have to eat these as soon as they’re done too. They are BEST when they are hot!

Normally, when Mom made these we used the tubes of refrigerated biscuit dough and fried them up as is, or occasionally we’d cut the center out and make doughnut holes as well.  If you’re not in the mood to make up the dough, then this is the way to go!  They are delicious and have a lighter texture than the homemade dough.  I decided this time to make up my own dough….mostly because I didn’t have the biscuit tubes in my fridge…and when you’re pregnant and have a craving…there is NO time to wait for your hubby to go to the store ;)  So either way you make them they’ll be amazing!  Here we go…
Fried Doughnuts
2 c. biscuit baking mix
2/3 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
oil for frying
1 1/2 c. sugar
cinnamon to taste
In a large bowl, combine biscuit baking mix, milk and vanilla until moistened. In a shallow dish, combine cinnamon and sugar and set aside. Drop dough by tablespoon full into the hot oil.  Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown…remove from oil and roll in cinnamon/sugar mixture immediately.  Allow to cool (slightly) on a paper towel.  ENJOY!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...