Sunday, May 15, 2011

Tie-Dye Patriotic Cookies


Yesterday morning my two year old spent the better part of the first two hours she was awake asking me if we could "bake cookies!"   "Please, Mommy! Can we bake cookies today?"  I would answer her with something to the affect of "In a little bit, Mommy has to get some things done this morning."   Then she got more demanding as the morning went on "I WANNA BAKE COOKIES, NOW!" Which normally I would tell her that that's NOT how we ask for things.....but she's SO my child...she's an instant gratification kind of girl.  She doesn't like to wait and neither do I!  So at 9:30 in the morning we started baking these tie-died spritz cookies.  I decided on the red,white and blue with memorial day coming up soon.  Lily lost interest once the mixing was done, but I think older kids will find these a lot of fun to make!  They're a bit time consuming because the recipe makes a LOT of dough, but it freezes really well if you want to just make some of them. They don't have to be patriotic either - I had originally planned on making the dough pink, yellow and green for a more tie-dyed look!   Have fun with this, I really enjoyed making them!  If you don't have a cookie press, they really are worth the 20 bucks it costs to get one.  I've made spritz cookies for all of the holidays and they're fun and easy to make and most of the recipe's I have made make a TON of the cookies so they're great for Christmas baking! I picked mine up from amazon!

Tie-Dyed Spritz Cookies

1 1/2 c. (3 sticks) softened butter
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. almond extract
3 1/2 c. flour
food coloring
sugar sprinkles
In a mixer (or with a hand mixer if you don't have a standing mixer!) Beat softened butter for 30 seconds until smooth. Add sugar abd baking powder. Mix in egg and extracts.  Finally add flour gradually until well mixed. Make sure your dough isn't too sticky or you may have a hard time using the cookie press.
Lily HAD to lick the beater ;)
SUCH a ham ;)
Divide your dough into three separate bowls and add food coloring of your choice to each.
very patriotic ;)
Then roll three small ropes of each color, twist together and insert into your cookie press. Test it out on a paper towel first to make sure it's working right and then press them right down to your UNGREASED cookie sheet. Top with sprinkles and bake at 375 for 6-10 minutes...You don't want the edges to brown.
fresh out of the oven


These would be great for any of the "patriotic" holidays - memorial day, veterans day, fourth of july or labor day!  They freeze up great once they are finished too - I made TONS of these spritz cookies at Christmas and we were able to enjoy them all through the holidays :) Just pile them into a rubbermaid container once they've cooled and pop them in the freezer. Thaw out as many as you'd like :)


check out this recipe and tons of others at the Gooseberry Patch Recipe Roundup!


Well I"m off for a bit - I'm planning on making some fried doughnuts for breakfast (and YES I'll share the recipe ;) ) I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I've made tie-dyed spritz cookies many time before. What I've always done is layered and flattened the colors on top of each other. Then I roll the whole thing into a log the diameter of the cookie press. I'll have to try your "rope & twist" technique next time I make them :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...