Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Nutmeg Coffee Cake


So this morning, while Lily was watching her morning cartoons, I decided to take a minute to peek through my new Farm Chicks cookbook.  I opened it right to the middle and the very first page that I opened was a recipe for “Nancy’s nutmeg Coffee Cake.” It looked so amazing I just had to try it right away!  And let me tell you, it’s worth the time it takes to put together because it is absolutely fabulous!!  It smells like heaven while it cooks and the spicy aroma will fill your entire home!  This one is definitely worth trying :)


Nancy’s Nutmeg Coffee Cake
2 c. all purpose flour
2 c. packed light-brown sugar
1/2 c. unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 large egg, beaten
1 c. sour cream
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. chopped walnuts
1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Prepare the crust: Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the flour and brown sugar in a medium sized bowl. Use a pastry blender or two knives to cut in the butter until the mixture looks like sand. (You could also throw it in your food processor!) Spoon half the mixture into a square 9″ pan, evenly pressing over the bottom.

cutting in the butter for the crust
Prepare the Batter: Add the egg, sour cream, nutmeg, and baking soda to the rest of the flour mixture. Mix until well combined. Spoon the batter over the crust, spreading evenly. Mix the walnuts and cinnamon in a small bowl and evenly sprinkle over the batter in the pan. (I used chopped pecans instead because I had them in the pantry – and it came out delicious!  Use a pastry blender to chop them up quickly!)
                                                                                        Mixing up the batter
Bake the cake: Bake until the center is set – about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and cut the warm cake into nine 3″ squares. Serve warm (the crust will be soft) or allow to cool (The crust will be crunchy). Store covered, in the pan up to 2 days.

Hot and delicious with a cup of hot tea or coffee – YUM!

Hope I don’t drive you too crazy, I’ll be writing again in a few to share the chocolate covered bananas that I made this morning for Lily’s afternoon snack!  I have to wait a bit for them to freeze, so I thought I’d go ahead and share this recipe with you!  I’d love to know if you try it out too – it’s delicious!  Have a fantastic day!!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...