Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sweet Old Fashioned Goodness


I am the only one who thinks that the smell of bread making is one of the best smells?  I don't think there is anything more homey or comforting than a loaf of bread baking in the oven and another rising on the counter top...baking bread is one of those old fashioned chores that people still appreciate today...there is absolutely NO comparison between a cheap loaf of white wonderbread and a fresh loaf of your favorite homemade bread....I'm ALWAYS in search of new bread recipes!

As I had mentioned before, I am completely addicted to Gooseberry Patch's "Sunday Dinner at Grandma's" cookbook.  While skimming through it I found a recipe for a quick bread called "SWOPE Bread."  The person who sent in the recipe said that they didn't know where the name came from but that his Grandmother always made it for his family. It's a really delicious buttermilk-brown bread, and really I don't think it's too unhealthy...I served it up for my family with some butter and a generous amount of Apple Butter from the Apple Barn (in Sevierville Tennessee).  You can't beat their Apple Butter!

Swope Bread

2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
2 c. buttermilk

In a large bowl, stir together flours, sugar and salt; set aside. In a separate bowl, dissolve baking soda in buttermilk. Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture; beat well. Pour batter into a lightly greased 9x5" loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour, until golden. Cool on a wire rack. Makes one loaf.

fresh from the oven!

I think this bread would also be fabulous for Turkey sandwiches, it would have a great flavor for it!  You could also add a little cinnamon or nutmeg to make it a little bit more spicy for a breakfast bread and use it to make french toast! Yum!

When I think about "old fashioned" activities like bread baking,  it makes me realize how modernized our lives have become.  Tv's computers, video games, ipod and cell phones....I don't want my kids to be so wrapped up in electronics that they can't appreciate the simple things in life, like baking bread and cookies, playing board games, reading, being outside...I like to keep my life simple, and while yes, I enjoy keeping touch with friends and family through facebook, blogging, and I've felt lost since I lost my iphone (LOL!) I still appreciate the simple things even more than any of those "things." It really is the memories that we make and the time that we spend with the ones we love that mean the most when it comes down to it.  I want my kids to have memories of drinking lemonade on their Nana's porch, playing outside with their Daddy, baking with me, picnics, long summer days, winter popcorn and movie nights, all those sweet simple things that a lot of kids today don't have or appreciate. Maybe I'm asking a lot in today's society, but I think it's time we all take a step back and learn to live simply...quietly.

And speaking of the little things....in the four years that we've lived in our home we've never seen the buds on the tree in our yard actually bloom...they are simply gorgeous! I had to share some pictures (and if anyone knows what kind of tree this is, I'd love to know...I'm thinking some kind of maple maybe??)



Wind chimes in a weeping willow
Biscuits light as feather pillows
At Mama's house
Sunday morning kids a squirming
Thank the preacher for the sermon
As you're walking out
Sweet old fasing goodness
Old man comes out and pumps your gas
Tells a joke while he cleans your glass
And says thank you friend
Grab a cup of sugar from your neighbor
Honor roll made the morning paper
Cut it out again
Sweet old fashion goodness
We don't need no bureaucrats
No scientists or diplomats
To help us figure out what this world needs
Just sweet old fashion goodness
-Craig Morgan
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...