Sunday, March 13, 2011

Farmhouse Barbecue Beef


I know that in a lot of families, Sundays are "family day."  For some it's a day to head to church, for others it's big dinners at grandma's house, and some, like us, enjoy spending the day at home.  With my husband's job (like most husbands!) he only gets two days off a week.  Sometimes it's Saturday, sometimes its another day during the week, but it's always Sunday.  I can always count on having him home on that day.  It's usually a "play day" for us.  We spend the day playing with Lily, watching movies, doing a little housework and always ALWAYS fix something good for dinner!  In the fall and winter, those meal are usually made up in the slow cooker.  There is absolutely NOTHING better to me, than to throw some ingredients in the crockpot in the morning, and get to smell it cooking all day long.  I have a ton of slow cooker recipes so I thought I'd share one with you today!

I've only made this recipe twice.  I made it about a year ago, and my husband and I loved it....then I sort of forgot about it.  Last Sunday, this was our dinner and I thought...holy cow, why don't I make this more often!!  So here it is,  my version of gooseberry patch's Farmhouse Barbecue Beef**.  I hope you like it as much as we do!!

This recipe can be done in a couple of different ways.  I cook the pot roast in the slow cooker during then day, and then shred it up and finish it in the evening.  You could also cook your roast in the oven in the morning, then throw it all together in the crockpot and let it cook all day that way.  It's really up to you, and when you have the most amount of time!

*Farmhouse Barbecue Beef*

2 1/2 lb pot roast, cooked and shredded
2 c. catsup
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped*
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. vinegar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cloves

In a large skillet, combine all ingredients and simmer for one hour. Serve on warm buns!

*I used dried onion since my onion went bad on me, it came out just as good!  So you can always throw that in if you have the same problem that I did :)
I just had to show this, check out how pretty all the ingredients look before you add the meat! So colorful!


Now that I'm writing this, I'm getting hungry!  I have to decide what I want to make for dinner tonight too!  On a completely different note, I know many of my friends enjoy starting seeds as much as I do for their springtime gardens....are you all enjoying watching them grow as much as I am??  I swear I check them out about 10 times a day, and everytime I do, something new is popping up.  I just love seeing the little green sprouts growing and thinking of what beautiful plants are going to be growing from them in my garden this year.  Even on these cold days, seeing that little bit of green really has a way to brighten my day!
thyme and dill popping up nicely!
cilantro...mmm..can't wait to use it in some homemade salsa this year!
I'm off to go fix some lunch for Matt and Lily and decide about dinner...I hope that you all have a lovely SUN-Day! <3 <3 <3
I stroll to the end of the drive,
Pick up the Sunday Times, grab my coffee cup.
It looks like Sally an' Ron, finally tied the knot,
Well, it's about time.
It's 35 cents off a ground round,
Baby. cut that coupon out!
That's what I love about Sunday:
Cat-napping on the porch swing;
You curled up next to me,
The smell of jasmine wakes us up.
Take a walk down a back road,
Tackle box and a cane pole;
Carve our names in that white oak,
An' steal a kiss as the sun fades,
That's what I love about Sunday,
-Craig Morgan
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...