Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Down Home Chicken n' Dumplins


Although I was most certainly not raised in the country, I think I’ve always been a country girl at heart.  I’ve always dreamed of living in a big old farmhouse with sprawling pastures, corn fields, horses, chicken coops, and huge home made breakfasts every morning.  I always wanted horses, growing up, even though I haven’t been on them a lot of times in my life.  I want that simple life, where kids grow up knowing that hard work is what gets you by and aren’t so spoiled by things like designer bags and expensive clothes.  (Yes, I am guilty of wanting/having both – but doesn’t it amaze you to see these young girls with Coach and Burberry purses – I mean really, is that necessary?!?!?!”)
The point that i’m trying to get to is that I’m a huge fan of all things “down home” and country.  Especially the food!  As I’m sure I have talked about before, I’m a big collector of gooseberry patch books. I think right now I have nearly 60 of them, which is most of them except some of the retired ones from before I started collecting.  They are fabulous cookbooks full of country cooking, decorating tips, and all kinds of fun things like that.  When you sit down to read through them, they suck you in, and you want to immediately start making every recipe in them!
So last night I went to one of my favorite Gooseberry Patch style recipe’s to try and help out all of the sicknesses going around all of our house.  Of course, chicken soup is what everyone thinks of when you’re sick because it’s so warm and comforting.  I take it a little farther and make chicken and dumplings.  The basis of this recipe came from a GBP Cookbook, but I have adapted it quite a bit from the original. This is my version of a super easy Chicken n’ Dumplings Recipe – I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!!

Down Home Chicken n’ Dumplings

2 Boxes of chicken broth
1-2 lbs chicken breast, trimmed
4 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
1 can cream of chicken soup
3 (7oz) tubes buttermilk biscuits

 Start out by adding your chicken broth and chicken breast to a large stock pot and simmer for 45 minutes.  If you prefer you can add veggies here like sliced carrots, onion or celery.  I like to add carrots to mine occasionally!
After the chickens simmers, remove it from the broth and take the broth off of the heat to cool for 20-30 minutes.  In the mean time, shred your chicken and season it with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Add the cream of chicken soup to the broth and place it back on the burner over medium heat, if you want to add the food coloring, do it now.  (my reasoning for this is just that it gives it a bit of a yellow tint instead of a blander tan – I think it makes it look just a bit more appetizing.)
Return your chicken to the pot and warm thoroughly.
Quarter the biscuits while the soup is warming…A really easy way to do this is to lay all of your biscuits out in rows on a cutting board and slice them with a pizza cutter.

Once the soup is simmering again, go ahead and add your biscuits – these only take about 15 minutes to cook completely. Keep stirring them around in the pot so that they stay separated or they can form one big lump of dumplings.

These are really good ladled over a bowl of mashed potatoes if you like that, or awesome on their own as well.  We usually don’t serve them with any sides because it’s super filling and doesn’t need anything to go with it!!  Enjoy!!


This morning we woke up to our world covered in a layer of ice.  They keep talking about the ice weighing down the power lines and causing outages, which is really scary, especially since our ten day power outage about 2 years ago. It would be so much worse in the winter time, than it was that September! It’s actually really pretty to look out at, but just not all that much fun to have to go out in.  Matt decided to stay home from work today because he’s feeling so sick and now I have it as well…the fever, cough, congestion – I am SO ready for these sickies to go away!!  At least Miss Lily seems to be on the up and up today!  She slept in until we woke her up at 8!!  She’s usually up by 6! She asked for milk and Toy Story the minute she got up, and is snuggled up with her Daddy and her blankies right now.  She even seems to be breathing through her nose!  Yay!
I’m off to go fix us some breakfast and then snuggle into the couch with my two favorite people.  It looks like we’ll have a day of movie watching and relaxing today….stay safe if you have to go out in this, especially to all of our family in Chicago! Be Safe!!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...